I packed my diaper bag full of banana's, cheesesticks and capri-suns, hoping to God it would keep the kids happy while we spent our time waiting. As a precautionary measure I stashed a bag of gummy worms in the bottom of my bag in case things got really ugly and I needed to bribe them to stay in the examining room.
Phoebe started crying immediately upon arrival. For about five minutes she sobbed on the floor..... until she realized she had an audience. Then she started getting flirty with smiles and batting her eyes at some unsuspecting old ladies.... which quickly deteriorated into her trying to escape the waiting room to race up and down the halls. At one point almost setting off the fire alarm exit.
I finally get called in. Phoebe is intrigued by all the shut doors everywhere and starts trying to open as many as possible. She busts into someone's office and I apologize while she kicks and screams and I haul her little pudgy behind away. The nurse tries to take my blood pressure while Phoebe continues to try to escape from my grasp. She keeps trying to run to the examining room doors and I keep trying to drag her back completely terrified that she is going to randomly bust in on someone's annual pap smear.
We eventually get moved into the small examining room. The kids are antsy and really don't want to be cooped up in there. Phoebe especially starts getting crafty and trying to sneak towards the door to escape.
I get desperate and pull out my secret weapon- gummy worms. I start tossing the kids each a gummy worm one at a time. Keeping them occupied with books and gummy worms worked a small miracle.
The Dr. comes in to examine me and Matty is very intent on wanting to see everything and understand everything so he moves in close. I give Matty the gummy worm pack with instructions to give Phoebe one gummy worm at a time to keep her busy.
Matty was so cute about hearing the baby's heartbeat and wanting to know what the Dr. was doing. The Dr even showed Matty how to use listen to his own heart.
By the time I was allowed to sit back up and look down at my kiddos I am startled to see Phoebe clutching all the gummy worms in her little fists. The Dr. leaned down and asked Phoebe if he could have a gummy worm. With a big toothy grin Phoebe hands him a half eaten, heavily drooled on piece of gummy worm.
That's when my Dr tells me that I'm going to have to do a 24 hour pee test before my next Dr's appointment because my blood pressure was up higher than usual. Hmmmmm.... wonder how that could possibly be? ;0)
By the end of our visit I'm pretty sure everyone in the office sighed with relief when we walked out the door.
No comments:
Post a Comment