Naming our little girl is going to be close to impossible... Kevin and I can't seem to agree on almost anything. On my part maybe it's hormonal but names that I liked when I was pregnant with Matty are suddenly repulsive to me and Kevin always has some off the wall reason to not like the names that I find even mildly acceptable.
I'm the first to admit that I'm kind of a name snob. There are dozens of names that practically make me gag.... and I dislike ninety percent of the girls names out there. Although I also admit to going through hormonal surges of loving names that the next week I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Example 1- I thought Margaret nn Maisy was darling for like three weeks, suddenly I can only picture Margaret as a middle aged woman and not a sweet little baby. Example 2- Suddenly I think the name Layla is lovely and coincidentally Kevin and I both love the song Layla by Eric Clapton... However in the back of my mind I know that Layla is really more of a stripper name than a real name. Not to mention the sexual connotations our little girl will battle- "Is Layla going to Lay ya????"
Anyways, this entire past week I have been practically in love with one particular name and I've actually loved this name since I was nine and reading Louisa May Alcott's Eight Cousins. I've pitched it to Kevin and had basically decided that this was the name I wanted for our little girl and that I was going to just start referring to the baby by this name every time that Kevin was around and make it incredibly clear that I was not going to negotiate.
I can tell Kevin is not crazy about it.... (mainly because he outright said- "I don't like it.") and I've decided I can't try to strong arm him in the baby naming process...I wouldn't feel right about trying to bully him into a name that I want, so in return for him keeping my name in the top three hospital choices I'll be willing to at least entertain his name suggestions.
As a sidenote.... Part of the reason I think I love this name so much is because I know that people are going to hate it. Is that so totally awful? Kevin's entire family is going to whisper behind my back and call eachother and say how awful our baby's name is... My mom will be ok with it once she understands where I originally got the name from. The Chicca's might cringe....I think that knowing everyone is going to react negatively is what is makes Kevin hesitate... But somehow all of that makes me just kind of secretly happy and gleeful... I must be a little evil... ( insert evil laugh here)
No comments:
Post a Comment