Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Holy Terror that is Phoebe




Phoebe has turned into a monster. A cute monster..... but a monster nonetheless. She has an attitude that is out of control. Her escapes are seriously rivaling McGuyver in terms of creativity and cunning.

She can open every single door in the house and can jimmy every lock. Baby proofing in this house is a sad joke on Mommy with her around. She can open the baby proof locks faster than I can.

Last Sunday she escaped out the screen door while we were prepping for a picnic and and she made a beeline for the street. I took off running after her when I realized she had escaped but I was a good ten feet behind her when she hit the street at full stride. Thank God Kevin was out there by the van because he was able to cut across and nab her before she was more than three feet into the street. It gave me a freaking heart attack. I've been debating the virtues of getting her a kiddie leash ever since.

At the local park they have several little bikes and cars there all the time so kids can ride around whenever they want. Phoebe is obsessed with one of the little cars. Seriously she will go to check on it every ten minutes or so to make sure it's still there.

If some unfortunate child is in the car she will literally
try to force them out by climbing into the car onto their
laps and squashing them flat. If that fails she tries to
yank them out by the cuffs of their coats.

When I try to carry her away from the car she will
collapse and throw herself around for the next
ten- fifteen minutes..... or until the car is available again.

She loves riding in the cart at the grocery store
and screams bloody murder when I try to take
her out. Yesterday she screamed so loudly that the
entire parking lot stopped and stared. 80% of the
people were wondering why I couldn't control my
child and the other 20% were probably wondering
if I was torturing Phoebe to make her scream so loudly.

One gentle old lady in the car next to mine asked
if she was hurt.

I wanted to retort that she wasn't hurt and
was only a possessed brat that probably needed
an exorcism but I had an inkling that my response
wouldn't have gone over well with such a frail
older lady..... so I simply remarked that she
really loves to ride in the cart and I left it at that.

Moments like these I can't help but wonder what
the hell we've gotten ourselves into.... but heaven
knows I wouldn't trade her for the world.
Temper tantrums and all.













No comments: