I've been sick the past several days. It started as a stomach ache which grew more intense by the day. When dizziness and shortness of breath kicked in I went in to see my Dr. He gave me some possible options, ran some labs and gave me some trial meds that might help or might not.
I went home assuming all would be good soon but within a few hours horrific pain and violent vomiting sent me to the ER. I was there for about six hours Thursday night. I was hooked up to some IV's, they ran some more tests, and my nurse/ new bff forever (a gay Filipino man named Chris who wore more eyeliner than me) peppered me with several blissful doses of morphine. Unfortunately there are no oral pain pills I can take because they would all most likely burn through my stomach. The only thing they can do is administer shots to keep the pain at bay while I'm actually at the hospital. Around midnight they loaded me up with morphine and sent me home with instructions to return at 7 am the next morning for more tests and I was told to be prepared for the very real possibility of surgery the next day.
Friday morning I returned to the ER for more tests. I had an ultrasound to rule out a bad gallbladder. I also had some scans. I was there for most of the day but thus far they haven't found a dang thing. I don't really know what's going on. Right now it's being managed by some meds that are meant to heal the stomach from ulcers and reduce harmful bacteria/acids.
I'm also restricted to not eat anything with sugar, anything with spices, anything citrusy.... anything with any taste or worth eating apparently. ;0) So far though the clear soup/crackers diet seems to be keeping my tummy on an even keel. I still have some pain- but nothing like Thursday night and Friday morning.
I'm supposed to see a specialist next week and hopefully they'll figure out what's going on. They're going to stick a scope down my throat to look around and biopsy my stomach. If they don't find anything that way it looks like I may end up with a colonoscopy. :-O
My arms look like they belong to a junkie and I find myself dreaming of ice cream - that I can't actually eat. But for the most part though, I'm currently ok. Kevin's really being little Mr. Superdad/Super hubby. My Mom and cousin Bethie are really pitching in to help me recover as soon as possible too. It's awesome to know that they all have my back in the bad times as well as the good.
1 comment:
Hope you feel better! Love you!
Post a Comment