Sunday, September 07, 2008

Elijah in school and the bizarre

So far, I hate Elijah being in school.

I'm not very fond of his teacher... but he seems to like her well enough. I suppose that's a good sign but I can't shake the slightly icky feeling I have when I talk to her.

I hate the middle of the day interuption. Everything has to be scheduled around Elijah's school hours and it's a huge pain in the arse. Yes, I know..... Kevin pointed out that this is a bad selfish reason to hate the school system, but I'm choosing to go ahead and bash it anyways. When I was growing up, learning was an adventure and everything was so spontaneous. I'm really having a hard time believing that these kids that look so miserable are experiencing the same level of excitement in discovering new things and ideas. They look too worried all the time.

I feel increasingly distressed as I observe the kids on the playground day after day. They're practically cookie cutters. You can peg each kid within only a couple minutes. The nerds, the cool kids, the jocks, the popular kids..... the kids no one will play with and everyone seems to avoid.... it breaks my heart to see these kids turned into little robots before their time.

Every day I feel so incredibly depressed at 12 o'clock waiting for Elijah to get out of school. Listening to the mom's and dad's talk and plan their lives around school....... All while dodging the volunteer Nazi's with my amazing spylike camoflage skills.

Seriously you can see the other moms judging eachother by the amount of volunteer hours or the amount of construction paper you've just donated. It's madness!!!!!!! Pure madness. I'm dreading the day I'm one of "those mom's" when it comes time for Matty. The mere thought of Matty in this sort of stuff just makes me sick. Heaven forbid that they may break his sensitive little spirit..... then I may just have to break their face if push comes to shove. ;0)

I really had no idea that people would be dedicating their entire life to school volunteer work. I'm all for helping out and being an involved parent but just how far are we expected to go??? So far the volunteer Hitler of the group has harangued me, Desi and my Mom into volunteering. On average they have about three volunteers a day. In what world do they honestly need that many volunteers per day?????? It's Kindergarten for Pete's sake! The whole thing is bizarre.

No comments: