Dear Elijah fish and Matty fish.... you were good fish. You were a beacon of virtue that other fish should aspire to become. You swam quite prettily.Matty Bug and Elijah Doodle loved watching you swim and eat your food. You would both endearingly trail my finger as I moved it across the glass.
You will be missed. Matty weeps for you little fishes. He's afraid a shark will eat you when you are eventually washed out to sea. I will have to trust that your trip down the toilet was pleasant and that you are unaware of your undesirable exit from this world. Rest in peace Elijah-fish and Matty-fish, for you were loved.
*****************************************************************************
I don't know what happened..... I seriously am puzzled by the fact that our thriving goldfish that had doubled in size in the last month suddenly turned belly up. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the boys overfed the goldfish. The boys are always arguing about who gets to feed the fish and just maybe they both fed them at different times on the sly thinking they were getting their turn without the other one knowing. Darn me for not keeping the food out of their reach.
I was getting fond of the fish. They were very pretty and as crazy as it sounds they seemed to know me when I approached the tank. I'm actually sad they died. I found them yesterday morning and flushed them before anyone else found them. I didn't want Matty seeing them with their eyes all glazed over and bloated up. He's been quite upset by this debacle. Now he is mourning for the tadpoles AND the goldfish.
On a slightly funny note- I pulled Matty aside first thing in the morning to tell him the news before he ran to the tank to say good morning to the fishes. I told him that I needed to tell him something sad but that it was going to be ok and he shouldn't be too sad. He looked at me in all seriousness and said, "What did the raccoons do Mommy??" ;0) I almost busted out laughing, it was just too funny. But I very seriously explained to him that the fishies died last night and that Mommy had to flush them, but that they're safe in heaven with Grandpa Jeff, Grandpa Dwight and Grandpa Ed so he shouldn't worry. He's taken it hard but pretty well considering his only/favorite pets have died.
From what I understand Matty's been a pretty shrewd bargainer with the hubby and is trying to get himself a puppy out of this fishy debacle..... so although he weeps big crocodile tears he seems to be just fine if he can manage to angle for a dog. ;0)
No comments:
Post a Comment