Sunday, September 07, 2008

Run my little Frogs!!!! Run Free!!!!!

Practically overnight Matty and Elijah's tadpoles turned to frogs. The boys were smitten..... and as creepy and gross as I found them, I have to admit they were much better looking once they were frogs. The bizarre squiggly almost shapeless tadpole creatures they once were really freaked me out.

Now that they were frogs I could hear them in dead silence of night...... hitting the lid time after time. Trying to hurl themselves out of their tank onto my clean counter tops....... most likely emboldened by the success of frog #1 aka Escape Artiste, into freedom.

I finally had enough and told the boys we would be releasing them. We packed them up in Elijah's special bug jar and we drove to a creek to release them. Matty and Elijah were excited about our little adventure... but sadly I think it sounded a lot more fun to the boys in theory.

We freed the frogs and watched them joyously jump and swim with googily glee. We trekked back up to our car and I loaded all the kids back into their seats. On the way home I look in my rear view mirror to see Matty's eyes puddled with tears as he sniffed into the air in a poor effort to contain himself. Matty pitifully says to me, "Mommy, I miss my froggies..... let's go get them back!!"

In my head I think- "Damn it. I was finally free from those amphibian freaks.... I WAS FREE!!!! I'd rather be horsewhipped than bring those frogs back!!!!" Out loud however I say," Oh Matty.... they're happy in their special creek. They won't be happy with us anymore! They need to swim and hop and play! How about we scrub out the frog tank and go pick out some goldfish! Isn't that a great idea honey??"

Thankfully my little sensitive booger boy agreed and we are now the proud owners of two lovely fat goldfish. Very creatively named- Matty fish and Elijah fish...... brilliant genius behind the names if I do say so myself. ;0)

So I am FREE!!!!!!! And Matty still gets to have a special little pet after all. He still occasionally professes his undying love for the frogs in the creek with some sniffles and puddly eyes but his obsession with his new little fish seems to be gaining momentum by the day.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I think most creatures that live in a creek, river, or lake are gross! Dead fish are the WORST!