Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Phoebe's 1st Birthday



Phoebe's birthday has come and gone.... We did a small mini party with just the kids, Kevin, Tony, and both grandma's.

The boys helped me decorate with streamers and balloons. I made an elaborate roast with red potatoes, carrots and rolls. Matty picked out the festive balloon cake. I seriously put a ton of energy into such a small party. I had beautiful visions of a perfect dinner, a toasty candle lit house, cheery music and well behaved children while we all doted on Phoebe for her 1st birthday.

Of course nothing ever goes according to plan. The roast took over 45 minutes than it was supposed to. Thank heavens Kevin stopped off and bought some chips and dip on the way over or else I'm sure we all would have starved to death while waiting. Although once it was done it was decent.... Not as good as I had hoped but good enough.

Unfortunately the boys chose that night to go absolutely bonkers. Although to be fair I have to say that they were both overwhelmingly tired. It started with Elijah crying because he wanted to play with Phoebe's new baby purse my Mom got for her. Then it spiraled out of control when I tried to distract the boys with rockets because of course they both melted down because they each wanted a different color than the one I gave them.

Then all the rockets were taken away.... which resulted in Matty and Elijah both screaming like banshees and being on time outs. Eventually my Mom just took Elijah home because they just couldn't stop crying and screaming while they were together.

The good thing is that Phoebe is so little she won't remember such a disastrous birthday. She'll only remember the picture of her eating her first cake and parading around with clothes on her head. Quite honestly, Phoebe had a ball. And if anything she thought it was hilarious that the boys were crying and was actually laughing at them. So it wasn't ruined for her. I'm just hoping I'll be able to look back on this and laugh in another year or so.

Seriously, she has grown so big and has become such a little person in the past 12 months. I find it so hard to believe she's a year old already. Every day she enchants me with her smiles and her sweet stubborn nature. Every day she makes my heart swell with love and pride. I couldn't ask for a better little Phoebe bird in all the world.

1 comment:

Becca said...

My little smelly cat is a year! No longer a kitten...She really is a beautiful baby! Love you all!!!!!