Sunday, March 06, 2011

Back Surgery


I have yet to write about my back issues or the back surgery I had last week. Honestly, it's not really fun to write about so I hesitated to bother to put this entry in here. But I eventually came to the conclusion that this is a pretty big piece of my life at the moment and I may as well embrace it. Life isn't always sunshine and roses and the lessons that this whole thing has been teaching me has been priceless. I might as well keep a record of what God has been teaching me through this whole ordeal.

Back in November I hurt my back lifting Phoebe out of the bathtub. Or more accurately, I hurt my back while trying to lift a flailing Phoebe out of the bathtub. She didn't want to come out of the bathtub even though the water was growing cold so she decided to protest by throwing herself around like a crazy banshee. She threw herself one way and my back went one way and that was that.

The following couple of months I popped ibuprofen like it was candy and kept thinking that the back pain would eventually go away. I probably would still be popping ibuprofen like a mad woman if I hadn't woken up a few weeks ago with numb legs and feet. Crazy scary to wake up and not be able to feel your feet and legs.

A MRI revealed a ruptured disc that was pressing on 90 something % of my spinal chord and blocking my nerves. The Dr warned me that if I didn't have the surgery there was a good possibility that if the disc ruptured any further all of my nerves would be cut off to the lower part of my body. My legs would turn to jello and I would essentially become paralyzed.

So .... I signed up for the surgery. Given the options of being potentially paralyzed or having a surgery I chose surgery! No hesitation.

The surgery went so smoothly. I was stunned by how well it went. Recovery has been rougher than I thought it would be. I've been pretty much kept in bed. I can get up for 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there. Lots of being weak and in pain. Lots of being sick to my stomach. Lots of sleep. I've been learning oodles about patience, obedience, and humility.

This specific verse has really been a a strong encouragment to me throughout this whole thing-

I took you from the ends of the earth,
from its farthest corners I called you.
I said, ‘You are my servant’;
I have chosen you and have not rejected you.
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.... Isaiah 41:9-10


I'm definitely getting a little stronger every day. I'm hoping and praying that I'll be back to myself in another couple weeks. I can't wait to be able to scoop up my little Birdie and tote her around like I used too. ♥♥♥


No comments: